Monday, July 27, 2015

Small Projects, Big Benefits!

To get back to moving after my knee surgery, I found I could stand at the quilter for limited amounts of time.  The best way I could think of to get back to it was to mount a batch of smaller projects all using the same backing and batting to work on design ideas, and not have to stand for too long at a stretch.

It was a bonus to get several great smaller projects finished for gifts and my summer table.  




Here I loaded two pieces of Batik fabric, 20" by width of fabric, side by side.  I used my channel locks to create work space instead of piecing.  Then I filled the areas with free motion designs I've been dying to try.  I then cut each quilt into two pieces (total four in all) and made summer place mats for my table with gorgeous quilt designs and bright, delicious colors.





In each of my little projects, I got to take my samples from my new sketch book and apply them with 'instant gratification.'





I could tell quickly what would work and what wouldn't for a customer quilt or on a project I'll sell or use as a sample in future articles or books.  And no harm done.  It's turning into a place mat. (I hate wasting anything, so do a lot of my auditioning this way, so I don't have to throw away piles of muslin and batting.)





Hope my small projects inspire you to try a few of your own.  I'm getting ahead for Christmas gift planning, rehabbing my knee, and learning and growing all at one time.  
I love to quilt!  
;)
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment