As I built the center fussy cut feature diamond, and worked several complementary fabrics into the simply pieced design (she wanted the feature fabric to be the star) I decided not to quilt a skull design edge to edge as I originally considered, and threw my shoulder into unusual combinations that did not overwhelm the prints, but worked well together and tied the feathers from some of the strips together by adding them to the corner units of the center diamond medallion.
I circled the fussy cut skelly band in the center diamond, and microstippled around them so when the quilt is washed, they will puff up. I then feathered the outside of the circle, and echoed out tot the sashing border.
Then a curvy oyster clam design for the side feature panels.
And each strip of accent fabrics has its own border design. Adding some feathers, and some jungle fern borders kept things curvy but not obtrusive.
Just have to bind it now in the chevron fabric, and make a label with machine embroidery...a little saying she wants to add about life as a journey. Should be fun when it's finished, and it was a challenging and interesting project. I'll post again about a particular problem with the blue backing fabric and how to be creative when bad things happen! Till then,